Amidst what looks like a pandemic, we are all trying our best to protect ourselves and our loved ones from this unknown virus. Protecting yourself from contracting the virus is extremely crucial. But, what happens if you still get it? What then?
From what we understand so far, this virus has a fairly low mortality rate. The only ones who are in danger are those with a suppressed immunity. Senior citizens, children and individuals living with Cancer, HIV, and other similar immunity-related health concerns are the ones who need to take precautions.
Right now, boosting your immunity is your one and only weapon. Follow all the below steps and make sure each and every person in your household is doing so as well.
+ Get solid sleep each night (7–8 hours)
+ Gargle warm salt water twice a day. It makes the mucosa at the back of your mouth less hospitable to viral visitors
+ Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day
+ If you have a humidifier use it properly (clean every day). Viruses have a harder time when ambient air has 40% humidity.
+ Easy on the dehydrating things like too much coffee
+ Make foods with immune boosters — garlic, ginger, turmeric, parsley, thyme, sage, pepper
+ Giloy Soup (Giloy has been used in Ayurveda for ages as a general immunity booster and is one of the best Ayurveda has to offer for immunity)
+ Increase the ZINC in your diet: chickpeas, almonds, cashews, lentils, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, oatmeal
+ Eliminate all booze (it depresses the immune system)
+ Don’t smoke (it comprises your respiratory system’s defenses)
+ If you have underlying lung disease consider taking Ashwagandha for the next two months (not if pregnant or suffering from autoimmune disease)
+ Get some good time outdoors each day, get the sun on your bare skin to activate Vitamin D
+ Check in on elders. Do their shopping for them so they don’t have to be in public. Drop off groceries for them. No visiting in person. Help them up for video chat to help them with isolation.
+ Limit gatherings. No sleepovers. No playdates.
+ Namaste. No hugs or Hi5.
+ Wash Your Hands, Don’t Touch Your Face
+ Advocate for EMERGENCY MEDICARE FOR ALL now so that no one is left out and everyone is going to get what they need to be safe.
Your healthcare workers are here for you. We are going to be OK. Please make sure the most vulnerable (folks over 60, unhoused folks, poor folks who cannot hoard and those with chronic illness) are covered with food, shelter and access to liquid sanitizer and water.
SUPPLEMENTS: In order to boost your immunity, you need to first ensure that you don’t have a deficiency of any single nutrient. Take the following supplements daily for the next 2-3 weeks to keep your immunity up.
1. Ashwagandha Extract – 500mg (Immunity booster, Rich in iron and Vit C)
2. Tulsi Extract- (Immunity booster, Good for Cardiac Health)
3. Giloy Stem Extract (Immunity booster, Good for respiratory Ailments)
4. Turmeric + Pepper Extracts (Immunity booster, Covers up for poor lifestyle and environmental issues like smoking and extreme pollution, Arthritis and frequent colds and allergies)
1. Mild exercise – Suryanamaskar is perfect!
2. Daily pranayama – Anulom Vilom, Ujjayi Pranayama, Deep Breathing, Bhastrika
3. Camphor Dhui at home: close all the windows, heat a piece of coal. Once it turns red, take it in a small metal or terracotta bowl and put a spoonful of camphor powder. Take this around the house and let everyone at home breathe these fumes as well. Camphor is known to protect you from upper respiratory tract infections.
4. Sleep is very important. 7-8 hours of sleep is crucial for the maintenance of your immune system.
5. Stay hydrated!
The above guidelines are general ones, that should benefit most individuals. However, if you are pregnant, lactating or suffer from any disorder, it is advisable to run this past your nutritionist or doctor. That’s it for now! Stay healthy, stay safe.
Looking for a 7-Day Immunity boosting diet recommendation ? Click Here